Head-Spinning Choices

 Dear friends,

Trep-ticipidation about these three months abroad entailed the possibility of physical risks (injury, assault/theft), but I am over that and keeping a bit vigilant.

I knew I would not feel lonely because I reach out for meeting new and old friends when I am traveling solo,  and I have companionship for some part of the next 4 days.  What surprises me now that I am here in Paris is an intimidating number of things I could do; I'm feeling a bit paralyzed about which to choose.  But I do like being spontaneous, so I'll let go of that worry right now.

April 30:   RER B and Metro Line1  to my lodging place near St. Paul-St. Louis Church, in the Marais.

Once unpacked, I walked to an excellent vegan bakery in the Quartier Latin beyond the Île de la Cité.

Here is my view from breakfast May 1.  The painting partially seen in the mirror is by Rod Stein, my in-law family connection in Paris, and a wonderful host he is.

May 1, Global Workers' Day, a national holiday when workers are supposed to stay home and work, and big demonstrations by large and small labor unions, Communist protests against Europe, an eco protest against the Olympic Games, support for Palestinian in Gaza, assembled at the Place de la République for a procession down to the Place de la Bastille.

I hung around until just before the procession began, being too tired to stay there.  There were literally thousands of Paris and national police and their vans and motorcycles standing ready to keep order.  As I walked home a couple of gentlement sitting on a bench were pointing and laughing, and said to me, "Look, there's a policeman pissing in the street!"  I got a good laugh out of that with them.

Earlier that morning I had walked to find the National Botanical Gardens, and did, and espied a few animals in a stinky menagerie area, but as it was a national holiday, all national properties remained closed.  It was quiet, since working Parisians were apparently sleeping in.  Here are a few photos from my first 2 days--self-explanatory, I think.  You can tell I like artistic humor and flowers.  I bought myself the bright scarf the first day to look a little more French.  I met an elegantly dressed Polish guy in the first café I ate in (he was sitting out his tour group's visit to Paris Disneyland), and in French told him I had Polish blood.  He told me I had the typical square jaw of the polish (!).










Comments

  1. You're looking tres francaise et tres chic. Quelle bonne experience d'etre la pour les manifestations! Tu as deja fait beaucoup -- square jaw? Mmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Awaiting next episode. Thank you Devin

    ReplyDelete
  3. J’apprecie beaucoup ce que tu racontes :)

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Day one--Arriving Bleary--April 30, 2024!

Preparations, Anticipations, Texas